Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, January 13, 2012

OH THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS FRIGHTFUL . . . .

View of my shed and all the snow.  

 One of my old windows with freezing art.
 
The most necessary thing I need:
COFFEE!!!!!

Winter has come to my home state of Indiana.  It is soooooo cold outside.  So what would I do on days like today where the wind chill is below zero?  I bake and quilt. I made soft oat rolls.  I'm going to share this recipe for you to do at home.


Here's what you are going to need:

1 1/4 cup boiling water
2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 1/2 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 Tablespoon Vital Wheat Gluten
1 Tablespoon butter, melted (for brushing the finished rolls)

 Bring the water to a boil. Remove from heat and add the oats, sugar, butter and salt. Cool to 110-115 degrees. Add the egg.  Put oat mixture in your mixer.  Add the flour, yeast and Vital Wheat Gluten and mix well.

 I just love my KitchenAid Mixer

If it is too dry, add a little water. If it is sticking to the sides of the pan, add a little more flour.  Cover the dough and let it rise for one hour.  I put my dough in my oven after heating it in the warm setting.  I cover it with plastic wrap and then a towel.  Once the oven is warm, I turn it off and let the dough rise.

Divide dough into 15 equal pieces. Form into balls and place seam side down 
into a greased 9 x 13” glass baking dish equal distance apart.
Again, I cover it up with plastic wrap and a towel and place
back in the oven that I have reheated in the warm setting.
Let it rise for another hour.






Preheat oven to 375°. Bake rolls in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter. Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment