Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

THE COMFORT OF OLD THINGS

When my family and I moved to the United States many years ago, we didn't bring a lot of family heirlooms.  I have always loved old things.  I love the history of old things.  I love going to antique stores and wonder who the owner used to be and why they no longer wanted the particular object. 

One of the things that my parents brought with them is a picture of Christ that my paternal grandfather bought.  It's all made out of different woods.  The frame is handcarved.  My parents knew that I have always wanted this and they gave it to me!


Another thing that my brother, sister and I loved was a cookie jar.  It is a Friar Tuck cookie jar and I loved the inscription on it.  It said, "Thou Shalt Not Steal".



Several years ago, I was at a garage sale and saw a beautiful quilt for sale.  The owner was an older lady.  I asked her why she was selling her quilt.  She told me that her family didn't want it.  The quilt was made my her grandmother.  My heart was broken because her family did not cherish this family heirloom.  The quilt is handmade and handquilted.  I wondered how many family members that quilt covered throughout the years.  The quilt now is in my living room where I can admire it and enjoy it.



Will I continue loving old thing?  Most definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment