Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, April 1, 2013

RYE BREAD

I realized early this evening that I was all of out bread.
I most certainly did not want to go out and drive to the store.
So I got my handy cookbook and made the bread.

It's very easy to make.
Here's the recipe.

3 1/4 to 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon caraway seed
2 cups warm water (115° to 120° F)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups rye flour

In a bowl combine 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, the yeast, and caraway seed.  Mix the water, brown sugar, oil and salt.  Add it to the flour mixture.  Beat at low speed with your mixer for 1/2 minute scraping the bowl.  (I have a Kitchenaid Mixer).  Beat 3 minutes at high speed.  Stir in the rye flour and as much of the remaining all purpose flour as you can.  Knead the dough really well in the mixer till the dough is smooth and elastic.  Place the dough in a greased bowl, turn once.  Cover it and let it rise till it doubles (about 1 1/2 hours)

Punch down the dough; divide in half.  Cover and let them rest for 10 minutes.  Shape and place them in two greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pans.  Cover; let them rise till nearly double (about 40 minutes).  Bake in 350° oven for 40 to 45 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.
***********************************************************************************

I made my loaf on a 16x4x3 inch pan.  My kitchen smells wonderful and Jorge is using self control in not cutting up a slice of bread and coat it with some softened butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment