Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, November 16, 2012

BRAIDED BREAD



I love to make bread from scratch.
My family loves it when I make bread from scratch.
So this morning I decided to make this lovely braid that 
can be served with any meal, casual or formal.

1 pkg. (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110 to 115)
1 cup warm milk (110 to 115)
1/4 cup butter, swoftened
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg yolk
1-1/2 tsp salt
4 to 4-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 egg white
2 tsp water
1 tsp coarse sea salt or kosher salt
1 tsp dried minced onion
1 tsp each sesame, caraway and poppy seeds

In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water.  Add the milk, butter, sugar, egg yolk, salt and 2 cups flour.  Beat on medium sped for 3 minutes.  Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.

Turn the dough onto a floured surface; knead until it's smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes.  Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.  I use my oven for the rising of the dough.  I heat up the oven at the lowest heat.  I then put the dough in the warmed oven and turn it off.

Punch t dough down.  Turn it onto a lightly floured surface; divide the dough into thirds.  Shape each into a 20 inch rope.  Place the ropes on a large greased baking sheet and braid; pinch the ends to seal and tuck them under.  Cover and let it rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Combine the egg white and water; brush over the dough.  Combine the salt, onion and seeds and sprinkle it over the bread.  Bake at 375 for 22-28 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove it from the pan to a wire rack to cool.


 My dough ready for the first rise.  I cover it and put it in the warmed oven.

 My three ropes ready to be braided onto the cookie sheet.

 The braid ready for the egg white/water and the seeds

One delicious loaf of bread ready to eat and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment