Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, September 23, 2011

MOROCCAN COUSCOUS

When I was a newlywed, I did not know how to cook.  I never made the time to learn.  But through the loving guidance of a wonderful lady from my former church, Margaret Pettigrew, she taught me how to cook. 

I have a very dear friend, Ellen Murphy, who is world traveler and has tried many different and tasty dishes.  She brings back home the love of those meals and makes them for her family.  Well, this time I decided to try a new recipe.  I was not sure how my husband, Jorge, would like but he did.  So I am sharing the recipe with you.  I reduced the recipe to 2 servings.  The amounts in this recipe are for 2 servings. 

MOROCCAN COUSCOUS

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin                  1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves                 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon grand cardamon              1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice                3/4 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 red onion, cut in half and                 1/4 red, green, or yellow bell pepper
     thinly sliced                                                cut into 1" pieces
1/2 zucchini, halved lenthwise               2 tablespoons golden raisins
1/4 teaspoon salt                                   grated zest of one orange
1/4 can (14.5 ounce) garbanzo              1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons
     beans, rinsed and drained                        chicken broth
2 tablespoons orange juice                    1/4cup and 2 tablespoon couscous
2-1/4 teaspoons chopped fresh mint

Place a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.  I used my cast iron skillet.  Stir in the cumin, ginger, cloves, cayenne, cardamon, coriander and allspice.  I measured all the spices and put the in a bowl before I put them in the heated skillet.  Gently toast the spices until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Stir in the oil and onion, cook until the onion is softened.  Stir in the bell pepper and zucchini; cook for 5 minutes.  Stir in the raisins, salt, zest and garbanzos.

Pour in the chicken broth and orange juice; turn the heat to high and bring it to a boil.  When the mixture is boiling, stir in the couscous and remove from heat; cover and let it stand for 5 minutes.  Fluff the food with a fork and fold in the chopped mint.

 My ingredients



The final product.

Jorge and I really enjoyed this tasty meal.  I'm looking forward now to try different recipes from other parts of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment