One ingredient that is an absolute must in this house is CHOCOLATE.
My husband absolutely loves chocolate.
I made this cake recently and I want to share the recipe with you.
It's absolutely delicious and easy to make.
2 (8-ounce) packages semisweet chocolate
2 cups butter or margarine (4 sticks)
1 cup sugar
1 cup half-and-half or light cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 10" by 3" springform pan.
- In heavy 3-quart saucepan over low heat, heat the semisweet chocolate, margarine or butter, sugar, half-and-half or light cream, vanilla extract, and salt, stirring frequently, until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
- In large bowl, with wire whisk or fork, beat eggs slightly; slowly beat warm chocolate mixture into eggs until well blended.
- Pour batter into springform pan so that it spreads evenly.
- Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake 2 inches from edge comes out clean. Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack.
- When cake is cool, carefully remove side of pan; wrap cake, still on pan bottom, in plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 6 hours.
- Prepare Chocolate Glaze
- Unwrap cake; remove from pan bottom. Line cake plate with waxed paper strips. Place cake on plate and spread with warm glaze. Discard waxed paper.
- In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy or whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Spoon whipped cream into decorating bag with medium star tube and pipe cream around top edge of cake. Refrigerate cake if not serving right away.
In heavy 2-quart sauce-pan over low heat, heat one 6-ounce package semisweet chocolate pieces (1 cup) and 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Remove pan from heat; beat in 3 tablespoons milk and 2 tablespoons light corn syrup.