Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, October 3, 2011

TIPS FOR A BLUE RIBBON QUILT


One of my unfulfilled goal is getting a ribbon for one of my quilts.  Now granted, I have not entered many judge quilt shows because the quilts that I have seen in the shows that I have attended are beautifully done.  I always wonder what are the standards the judges have when judging quilts.  So I decided to go online and find out.  So here are the results of my research.

APPEARANCE
  1. The quilt is clean, neat and odor free.
  2. All stray threads, lint, and animal hairs are removed.
  3. Color value (lights and darks) create a contrast.
  4. The design commands attention.
PIECING
  1. Points on the triangles and diamonds are sharply pointed.
  2. Intersections meet precisely.
  3. Seam allowances are pressed consistently and they lay flat.
  4. Stitching tension is strong and even.
  5. The thread color blends or matches the fabric.
APPLIQUÉ
  1. Curves are smoothly rounded and points are sharp without bulk.
  2. Invisible stitches are small, close, tight and even.
  3. The dark fabric does not shadow through the light color fabric.
  4. Thread color blends or matches with the appliquéd piece
  5. Markings are not visible.
BORDERS AND SASHING
  1. Stay consistent in width
  2. Long seam lines are straight
  3. Lay flat without buckling or waving
QUILTING DESIGN AND QUILTING STITCHES
  1. Fits and fills the spaces uniformly
  2. Complements the pieced design
  3. Beginning and ending stitchs are secure and unobtrusive
  4. Knots are buried.
  5. Stitches are uniform in size and even back and front.
BINDING
  1. Corners diagonal, or sharp perpendicular abutment
  2. Corners smoothly rounded or 90-degrees square.
  3. Bias fabric not stretched or rippled
  4. Batting is firmly and evenly filled to the edge.
  5. Stitches on the back are small, close, tight and even.
  6. Thread color matches the binding fabric.
With knowledge in hand now, I will make a quilt to be judged.  Now whether I get a ribbon or not, I know that I will learn and improve for the next time so that I can get the blue ribbon.


No comments:

Post a Comment