Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, August 4, 2011

PIECED BIAS BINDING

I've been working on a baby quilt for a friend of mine and I wanted to do something different.  So I decided to try something different with the binding.  So here is what I did.

I cut long strips of the width of fabric on the crosswise straight grain in the width I wanted which was 2 1/4".  I used the fabrics that I used on the quilt.  I joined the strips with 1/4" seam allowances to make a striped binding set.  You can press the seam allowances open or to one side. 


I cut bias strips from the binding sets in the width I need for the quilt.


I joined the strips to make a continuous bias strip.


I sewed the binding onto the quilt using a 1/4" seam allowance.



I turned the binding over the edge of the quilt to the back.  I hand-stitched the binding to the backing fabric making sure I covered the binding stitching line. 

This was the first time that I have made this type of binding.  It turned out better than I had expected.  So try something new that you have never done.  You will be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment