Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

DISAPPEARING NINE PATCH

Well, I finally got to work on a quilt after so many weeks of not being able to sew.  It felt really good hearing the sound of my sewing machine.  The quilt that I made is called a Disappearing Nine Patch.  The fabric I used were squares that were already precut to 5 inches.  I found them in a store in New Hampshire two years ago.  So many times I buy fabric that really catches my attention with no clue as to what design I'm going to do.  So here are the steps to making this block.


I sorted my fabric out from lights and darks. 


 
 After sewing all my pieces, I came out with 15 blocks.

 Square them off.  I also
cut out 15 solid blocks to set
this quilt.

Take your ruler and cute the block into fourths.  
 You can also fold the block into fourths and finger press
the block and you will have lines on the block where you can use
your ruler and rotary cutter and cut along the lines.

You can rearrange the cut block into different designs.
I forgot to take pictures of that but just let your imagination go
in what pattern you would like your new block to be. 
Once you have decided on your design, start sewing.
As you can see, my cat was helping me with my sewing.
For some reason, she likes the sound of my machine.

This is the design that I came up with. 
I squared the block so that it would
measure 12 1/2 inches.
Once I was done squaring the blocks,
I started sewing them onto the solid blocks.

This is the quilt that I made.  I'm going to add
a solid border and then a pieced border.

This is a very simple quilt to make.  You can make it any
size that you want.  All you need is your
imagination to see what designs you can come
up with after you have cut your block into fourths.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, Irene! I enjoyed seeing the real thing at guild last night too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely quilt and how clever to cut up the squares *after* sewing them together for a more dramatic effect!

    It's nice to meet you and thank you for joining my Give Away!

    Blessings,
    This Good Life

    ReplyDelete